Teeth Whitening in Port Orange
Most of us love a cup of coffee or tea. Over time, however, food, exposure, and our favorite caffeinated beverages can darken our teeth and steal the lustre from our smiles. Luckily, whitening your teeth has never been easier, faster, and safer. The transformations can be incredible, but can take time. Make your appointment and get photo-ready today.
Does Teeth Whitening Last?
On average, you can expect your newly-whitened smile to last you between 1-3 years. However, this primarily depends on how well you care for your smile. Brushing 2-3 times per day for 2 minutes and flossing once per day can prevent the formation of plaque and tartar, which can contribute to staining. Seeing Dr. Smillie for a six-month teeth cleaning and oral exam also allows you to remove surface stains and keep your smile bright.
If you want your smile to last, it’s a good idea to cut back on drinking dark beverages like coffee, wine, tea, and soda. When you do drink these beverages, rinse your mouth afterwards to remove the compounds that can stain your teeth. Drinking through a straw will also help keep your teeth white since this prevents the beverage from contacting your enamel.
Can My Teeth Be Whitened?
As a rule, we recommend that you come in for a teeth whitening touch-up about once per year. This touch-up appointment typically involves a lower-strength whitening compound compared to your initial treatment because its purpose is to maintain your smile and remove any minor stains that may have built up since your last appointment.
In some cases, your teeth may need to be whitened more frequently. Schedule an appointment to consult with Dr. Smillie and find out how often you should whiten your teeth, especially if you are also using at-home whitening kits. If you over-whiten your teeth, this could cause permanent damage.
Two Whitening Options
Depending on how soon you would like to see results, there are two possible whitening treatments we offer. One involves coming in for whitening appointments—as little as one depending on how white you want your teeth—, while the other puts you in control of your whitening treatments.
If you choose an in-office treatment, Dr. Smillie will simply apply a whitening paste to your teeth for a period of time, while focusing a specific wavelength of light at it.
Our home whitening treatments involve placing a fitted whitening tray over the teeth you would like to whiten. Dr. Smillie will provide a formula to inject into the whitening tray that will, over time, work away at stains and bring back your natural gleam. This process can yield results in a matter of weeks, though it may take longer depending on the patient.
The Benefits Of
Professional Whitening Vs. Over-The-Counter Products
Using a professional whitening kit instead of an over-the-counter (OTC) kit has quite a few benefits:
- Professional whitening is much faster and more effective compared to using an OTC kit.
- Your treatment will be customized by Dr. Smillie to ensure that your smile is whitened to the proper levels, and custom trays and whitening agents will be used to achieve these results.
- OTC kits use a “one-size-fits-all” approach, and often contain low levels of peroxide, so they offer slower results and will not provide the same level of whitening as a professional treatment.
- Some OTC kits can be dangerous for your oral health if they have a very high level of peroxide. Kits with extremely high peroxide levels can damage your enamel, the roots of your teeth, and your gums when used improperly.
- Professional whitening from Smillie Dental ensures you avoid these risks and side effects.
- Mon 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Tues 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Wed 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Thurs 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Fri By Appointment Only