Most patients consider Invisalign to be a lot more convenient than traditional braces. You can remove your trays to eat and drink, so there are no dietary restrictions, and you can also take them out to brush and floss, making oral hygiene a lot easier.
However, there are a few lifestyle changes you’ll need to make during treatment. For example, you should not drink coffee while wearing Invisalign. Why? There are a lot of reasons, so let’s explore them in this blog. The team at Smillie Dental will also discuss a few best practices for coffee lovers who are getting Invisalign.
Why Can’t I Drink Coffee While Wearing Invisalign?
We can’t stop you from drinking coffee while you wear your Invisalign trays. But for a lot of reasons, doing so is a bad idea. Here’s why.
- Higher risk of tray, tooth stains – When you drink coffee while wearing Invisalign, a little bit of the coffee will sit between your Invisalign trays and your teeth, where it will be more likely to cause stains. Coffee can discolor your trays and make them look yellow or brown, and it can also stain your natural teeth, requiring you to eliminate the stains with teeth whitening.
- Acid and sugar can contribute to cavities – Coffee is acidic, which means it can contribute to tooth decay. Not only that, but most people drink their coffee with cream and/or sugar, which contains sugar that can also contribute to cavities. This problem is worsened by the fact that some of the coffee will be trapped against your teeth and trays, where bacteria can consume sugar, excrete acid, and eat away at your enamel.
- Heat can warp the trays – If you like really hot coffee, this can actually damage your trays. Invisalign uses “thermoplastic” that softens when exposed to heat. This is how your trays are built. Hot beverages like coffee can soften them and cause them to warp over time.
What Should I Do? Our Top Tips For Coffee Lovers With Invisalign
Can’t go without your morning cup of coffee? We get it. And with Invisalign, you don’t have to! Just follow these tips to enjoy your coffee without the risk of stains, decay, or warping your trays!
- Remove and store your trays – Before you drink coffee, take out your trays and store them in the carrying case to protect them and keep them safe from damage.
- Drink your morning cup quickly – Remember, you need to wear your trays for at least 22 hours per day for the best results. So don’t sip your coffee over a period of an hour or two. Try to drink it within 30 minutes.
- Brush or rinse before replacing trays – Brushing is the best option to protect your oral health, though you can just rinse your mouth and trays with water if brushing is impractical. Brushing or rinsing will help wash away acid, sugar, and staining compounds after you drink coffee.
Explore Invisalign In Port Orange – See If You’re A Candidate!
At Smillie Dental, Dr. Joseph Smillie is a certified Invisalign provider in Port Orange, and has years of experience treating patients who want a straighter, healthier, and more beautiful smile. If you’re interested in Invisalign, contact us online or call at (386) 317-4754 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Joseph or Dr. Helen Smillie, and see if you’re a good candidate for treatment.